Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The Witch 2016 - A Review




Hey, guys. This is the first movie review I've done on my blog. It's not so much that I want to segue way into a new area for my blog (I would be okay with that), its that I could barely process my thoughts about this movie.

Spoilers ahead if you are going to see this movie later on.....

My friends and I went to our local AMC theater to see Pride and Prejudice Zombies, only to find out they had changed the times on us! UGH. So we randomly picked something that would appeal to us. Horror movie it is!

After watching the trailer before grabbing our seats, I was definitely intrigued. Rotten Tomatoes even gave it 88%. We all thought, "how could we go wrong then?" And it went to Sundance!

The Witch is a new film that combines history and horror. The movie follows a family who gets banished from their New England settlement in 1630. From there things spiral out of control from the baby gets taken in a blink of an eye and slaughtered, crops are failing, the mother has an ongoing breakdown with losing her faith, the twin children talk to the goat named "Black Phillip."  The other son Caleb has a run in with a witch and returns to the family naked and dying - which leads them to believe the eldest daughter is indeed a witch.

Personally, I love witch movies - as early as 13, I was fascinated with the culture and history of them. I can't tell you how many projects and papers I did on the Salem Witch Trials. Lets start with the good - the dialogue, music and the costumes. I found the dialogue really hard for me to follow. It was quite authentic to the time period that I even turned to my friends quite a bit and said, "what did he say?" "what is going on?" "is that English?" Now the costumes, were also on point with the Puritan style for that time frame. The musical score was compelling, well placed and quite frightening. I always believed music really can make or break a movie. The music could not save this movie for me even though it was a beautifully scary score. Also, I would to give props to Anya Taylor as Thomasin and Ralph Ineson as William.

Now that's out of the way, lets talk about the movie as a whole. After we witnessed the ending only 3 words could sum The Witch up: WHAT THE FUCK. I don't want to give away the ending, so I won't go into too many details but I cannot even understand what they were thinking?! I was internally conflicted. It has great reviews, so maybe it was just me thinking movie was not only slow moving for a horror flick but messed up in general. Nope. As the last frame wrapped up, my friends turned to me and gave me a look that said, "are you FREAKING kidding me?!" The credits started rolling through and throughout the theater I heard the murmurs of angry, confused and bewildered customers who thought this movie was pure asinine.

Have you seen The Witch? Your thoughts?


RetroUrbanRainbow says....Skip this!!!!!





No comments: