Saturday, November 6, 2010

You Can't Hold Me Down, Marie Claire & Maura Kelly!




First of all to start I would like to say....KISS MY ASS MARIE CLAIRE! 

I feel like I've been slapped in the face. I recently read an article on the Marie Claire blog written by Maura Kelly leaving me totally appalled. "Should "Fatties" Get a Room? (Even on TV?)"

I used to read Marie Claire Magazine occasionally when I was a teenager. Nothing too special about it. It was a light fashion, sex and beauty based. I haven't read anything from them in years. I only was made aware of the article because of the massive uproar is the beauty community. Even the title of the article is very insensitive, just wait for the rest of the article. If Maura Kelly wanted attention and publicity she sure got it. Whether she deserves it is another question that I will answer with a big NO. But her words shocked me into gear. She was asked by her editor to write an article about if she thought people feel uncomfortable when they see overweight people making out on television?

Her editor was referring to, Mike and Molly, a new sitcom. The show centers around a couple who meet at an Over Eaters Anonymous group. She writes,...

"I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room."

You guys know me, I'm all about free speech but this is crossing the line. What is the damn difference in her writing about being an interracial couple, being anorexic, being republican or being a gay? I grew up dealing with my weight and struggling to not hate myself over it for years. While I still have self confidence issues I'm content with me. Her views or the insane people that agree with her (yes, her editors) won't change me or how I feel about myself or my happiness. I worry about younger girls who come across the article. Bullying has only gotten worse from when I was growing up and instead of supporting, caring and accepting another, we beat others down emotionally and physically. Didn't we just have purple spirit day? HELLO!

Marie Claire is part of the beauty community. A community where we share our passions for being beauty junkies, DON'T bully others and have a great support system for each other. We don't judge, criticize or degrade. Being part of that brings me joy. I can just be me...crazy, silly, creatively ME! But this is just blatant irresponsibility on Marie Claire’s part, who approved that?  I could go on and on here because believe me, I’M FURIOUS about this and my blood is boiling. 

What do I get from her disgraceful article? I get that I should  take my fat self and hide. I shouldn't kiss my girlfriend in public and I better hid because I don't get put in the category of a damn human. In fact ending my life seems like the appropriate thing to do since I am so damn awful to look at. GASP! (that was sarcasm, people)

Not a chance, Maura Kelly and Marie Claire. I'm thrilled people are banning and unsubscribing to your appalling magazine. 

I won't apologize for wearing bold makeup, I won't apologize for being a lesbian, And I won't apologize for being over weight. So...kiss it baby!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! That's the right attitude. You wrote a very thoughtful, insightful rant.

Unknown said...

Amen, sister!! Tell it right to their anorexia-perpetuating faces. Everyone deserves to be loved and to feel beautiful!